How do I report an environmental concern?

To report any environmental issues on campus, contact EHS at 979-845-2132 or the Communications Center at 979-845-4311. 

Maybe you see a strange ponding of water, a discolored area of grass around a transformer, oil/gasoline flowing directly into a waterway on campus, foaming at a waterway on campus, or an obvious fish kill. When you come across these type of issues, Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) should be notified. 

Once you report a problem, someone from the Environmental Compliance group will talk with you about the details of your complaint. Please be prepared to tell us details about:

  • the nature of the problem
  • the location of the problem
  • when the problem occurred (date and time)
  • who or what may be the source of the problem
  • any information or evidence you may have—particularly eyewitness information, documents, or photographs.

EHS will investigate the cause, and remediate the situation if there is an issue that needs to be resolved. 

If the situation is an immediate threat to public health or the environment, we will respond immediately. Other complaints may take longer, but EHS takes every complaint seriously and investigates all concerns within our jurisdiction.

After we have received your complaint and any information or evidence you have, here are the usual steps we take:

  • Environmental Compliance will review the given information. They will call to discuss your complaint and any information or evidence you have if there are questions.
  • In most cases, an on-site investigation will be done to see if any environmental regulations have been violated.
  • If the investigation reveals a violation, we will take appropriate action to notify the proper authorities of the incident and what we are doing to remediate the incident.
  • If the investigation reveals no violation but needs attention we will initiate actions to resolving the situation and making improvements to prevent the incident from happening again.