How do I know if I need a BCHD permit?

You will need a temporary food permit from the Brazos County Health Department (BCHD) if the food you are serving meets any of the following criteria:

  • Not purchased fully-cooked/prepared from a restaurant, grocery store, or caterer permitted by BCHD.
  • Is a PHF, and will be cooked or prepared by you or other members of your organization. See the list below for guidance on PHFs.
  • Will be served to the public, if the event is advertised in a way that invites the public to attend, or if you will not be securing the event to prevent the public from intentionally or accidentally consuming the food.

This permit costs $60 and must be purchased in-person at BCHD at least 72 hours before your event. All food handling, preparation, and cooking must take place on site (nothing at home). More information can be found on the BCHD website.

Examples of Potentially Hazardous Foods (PHF):

  • Meat (bacon, hot dogs, lunch meat, hamburgers, sausage, etc.)
  • Dairy (butter, cheese, cream, milk, ice cream, etc.)
  • Poultry (chicken, eggs, etc.)
  • Seafood
  • Cut tomatoes (this includes fresh salsa and pico de gallo)
  • Cut melons (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, etc.)
  • Alfalfa sprouts
  • Cooked pasta, potatoes, rice, or beans
  • Sandwiches
  • Pizza
  • Cream pies, cheesecakes, other desserts that require refrigeration
  • Anything already cooked that must remain hot or cold