How do I know if I can serve food at my event on campus?


One University rule may apply to your event if you are planning to serve food on campus:

If you are hosting or coordinating a meeting, tailgate, party, potluck meal, or other closed event, and the service of food is not open for consumption by the general public, then the aforementioned University rules do not apply.

If you are serving or selling food to the public, if the event is advertised in a way that invites the public to attend, or if you will not be securing the event to prevent the public from intentionally or accidentally consuming the food, then you must submit the appropriate Food Distribution Form to EHS. Click here for those forms.


In addition to this form, you may be required to fulfill the following requirements, based on the nature of your event:

  • Obtain a temporary food permit from the Brazos County Health Department (BCHD) if you will be cooking or preparing Potentially Hazardous Food (PHF). For more information, see How do I know if I need a BCHD Permit?
  • Complete the Concessions permitting process through Student Activities if you will be selling or accepting donations for the food. For more information, see Concessions at Texas A&M.


University rules regarding food safety do NOT apply to these "closed" or "private" events:

  • Meetings (hosted by individuals, departments, student organizations, etc.)
  • Tailgates
  • Parties (birthday, holiday, retirement, etc.)
  • Potlucks/luncheons
  • Fundraisers/bake sales solely within an organization or department
  • Any event not open to, advertised to, or accessible by the public

University rules regarding food safety DO apply to these "open" or "public" events, and thus prior approval is required. Click here for more information on required forms.

  • Fundraisers/bake sales outside of an organization or department
  • Cooking demonstrations where sampling is allowed/promoted
  • Meet and greet events in public places
  • Cook-offs where sampling is allowed/promoted or food is sold/distributed
  • Any publicly advertised or accessible event