How do I get approval to serve food at my event?

You will need to submit the appropriate food distribution form based on the food you will be serving. Answer the following questions to determine which permit you will need. These forms are required if you are serving or selling food to the public, if the event is advertised in a way that invites the public to attend, or if you are not securing the event to prevent the public from intentionally or accidentally consuming the food. If your event is "closed" or "private" and does not meet any of those circumstances, you do not need an approved food distribution form. See here for more information.  

  • Are you serving only bake sale items that do not require temperature control? For example, cookies, cakes, brownies, etc. This does NOT include cheesecakes, pumpkin pies, cream pies, meat kolaches, or other items that need to be kept hot or cold.
  • Are you serving only prepackaged items that do not require refrigeration or whole fruit? For example, chips, candy, sodas, granola bars, bananas, whole apples, etc.
  • Are you serving only beverages in single-use (disposable) cups that do not require mixing or preparation before distribution? For example, coffee or tea that has already been brewed by a restaurant or store.
  • Are you serving only prepackaged, single-serve frozen novelty items? For example, popsicles, ice cream bars, or ice cream cups.

If you answered "yes" to ANY question, stop here.  You do not need a food distribution form.  

Stop Sign

If you answered "no" to ALL questions, continue below.

Green Arrow "GO"

  • Are you purchasing the food from a restaurant, grocery store, or caterer in Brazos County?
  • Are you serving the food fully cooked or prepared, so you or your organization is only responsible for the distribution of the food?

If you answered "yes" to BOTH questions, please submit a Food Distribution Form for Caterers.

Stop Sign

If you answered "no" to either question, continue below.

Green Arrow "GO"

  • Are you purchasing food from a restaurant, grocery store, or caterer and cooking or preparing the food before it will be distributed?
  • Are you using a purchased or rented machine to prepare and serve popcorn or snow cones?
  • Are you serving a beverage that requires mixing or preparation before distribution? For example, lemonade or hot chocolate from a powder mix.

If you answered "yes" to ANY questions, please submit a Food Distribution Form

In addition to these forms, you may be required to fulfill the following requirements, based on the nature of your event:

  • Obtain a temporary food permit from the Brazos County Health Department (BCHD) if you will be cooking or preparing Potentially Hazardous Food (PHF). For more information, see How do I know if I need a BCHD Permit?
  • Complete the Concessions permitting process through Student Activities if you will be selling or accepting donations for the food. For more information, see Concessions at Texas A&M.

If you have any questions or are still not sure which form you need to complete, please contact